GETTING TO NOVO AIRÃO
There is now a bridge over the Rio Negro at Manaus and the journey time to Novo Airão (where you can see the pink dolphins!) has been halved as a result. You can get there now in as little as 2 – 2.5 hours by either car or taxi.
There are 5 options:
1. Easiest by far is to get a taxi pickup from the airport or a taxi transfer from the place you are staying in Manaus. Your pousada should be able to organise this and it will cost around R$220,00.
2. By car take the new bridge and once on the other side turn right onto the AM070 in the direction of Manacapuru. After around 80km turn right again onto the AM 352 which will take you the 98kms into Novo Airão.
3. Shared taxi. First go to Avenida Brasil and take the bridge road. Around 700mtrs down the road there is a taxi rank for Novo Airão in front of the shop “Ilha Gelada”. The trip to Novo Airão takes 2.5 hours and costs R$35,00.
4. Bus from the Rodoviária Manaus bus station. This also costs R$35,00 but takes 4 hours. There are 2 bus companies and several buses a day do the trip, but reliable information is at present impossible to find on-line.
5. Boat. Boats named Campinho and Novo Zanys leave from the São Raimundo port near the São Raimundo bridge on Tuesdays and Fridays at 20.00 and trip takes 8 hours overnight. Note: these are wooden boats, typical of the Amazon region and you need to take a hammock if you want to sleep unless you opt for one of the cabins with bunk beds.
Information courtesy of the Pousada Bela Vista in Novo Airão
For further information on Brazil Travel & Pousadas visit Hidden Pousadas Brazil